banner photo

Photobucket

Tuesday, 7 June 2011

Guest of the Month

Mr. Stanley Tan

Chairman
National Volunteer and Philanthropy Centre


Q: How did you get involved in charity work?

A: I was fortunate to be introduced to volunteerism when I was 10 years old. I joined a church youth group that visited an orphanage and a mission hospital in alternate months. I say‘fortunate’ because even though I had very little means, I learnt that my very presence made a difference to those whom we visited. I believe it was even more uplifting for me than for those I visited!


Q: To you, what is philanthropy?

A:Philanthropy can mean many things to many people. Very often, it connotessomething of a large scale, with a great impact and a sustainableeffort to give. To me, philanthropy is simply living our lives not only caring for those we love but also contributing to the betterment of the lives of others around us.


Q: What is the greatest achievement of your life?

A: To know that God can use someone as unworthy as me to help others.


Q: What is your vision for Singapore (with regards to the charity sector)?

A:I believe Singaporeans are philanthropic by nature, though itmay be an underdeveloped gift. My hope and vision is that even as we progress as a country and community,we will not be blinded by our economic success, and always remember to keep in mind the greater value of humanity and embrace that full value as individuals and as a society.


Q: What can youths do to contribute?

A:Youths are the lifeline and agents for both growth and change. In whatever you do, pursue idealism and hope for a better world for all. While you may find it hard to measure your contribution, collectively you will bring about a better Singapore and a better world.


Q: What would you like to say to the student of our student chapter?

A: I want to say 'Thank You!' Your actions impact and change the lives of those you have chosen to serve. This can't be measured; it can only be celebrated by those who gain from your giving and those around them. So, once again, 'Thank You!'


Q: Complete the sentence. Now is the time to…

A: Now is the time to give; there is never a better time.



Thank you Mr Tan for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment